Monday, July 9, 2012

Grilled Chipotle Portobello and Pepper Tacos

If you follow me on Instagram, you know I am one of those people. I love taking pictures of the yummy things I cook and/or eat. NPR had a little blog and poll about it, and I was surprised most people voted "Bring on the photos!"... I suspect guilty parties showed up to the polls... I know I did. But I'm sorry I'm not sorry for flooding your feed with food. Or loving alliteration.

I thought maybe every now and then I'd share a recipe that appears to be well-received by Instagramers, like these Grilled Chipotle Portobello and Pepper tacos. I live with a meat-loving man and come from a steak-and-potatoes family, but I try to make a conscious effort to eat vegetarian at least once a week. I know for a lot of people, it ain't no thang, but eating this way doesn't come naturally to me. Also,  often times when I suggest a meal, I'm met with, "That sounds good, but it would be better with chicken." 

Although these tacos might be good with chicken, they're scrumptious with earthy portobellos. I love the way grilled portobellos bite; toothy and tender. Grilling these with pureed chipotle gives the tacos a smoky heat that just barely catches you at the back of the throat. 

Ingredients (makes 5 tacos... awkward number)
5 corn tortillas, warmed
2 large portobellos, sliced
1 orange bell pepper, sliced
1 large garlic clove, minced
2 tablespoons pureed chipotle in adobo sauce
1/4 teaspoon cumin
canola oil to coat
Kosher salt and pepper to taste

Cheese, sour cream, sliced avocado, chopped red onion, and lime wedges for garnish

Prepare your ingredients. To puree the chipotles just toss them into a blender or food processor on high for about a minute. Heat a grill pan over medium high heat. Coat pan with canola oil, then add garlic and peppers. Grill for about 3 minutes then add mushrooms. Once the mushrooms begin to become tender on one side, flip and then add chipotle puree and season with cumin, salt and pepper. Stir and mix with tongs until mushrooms are tender; it should only take a couple of minutes. Garnishes are obviously a matter of preference, but if you skip out on lime, you'll be sorry. 

I served these with black bean, corn and tomato quinoa seasoned with cumin, garlic and coriander. 

2 comments:

  1. JesTheMilitantBakerJuly 17, 2012 at 10:14 AM

    oh my, would you like to join the womanifesto challenge? I would like you to! ;)

    http://www.themilitantbaker.com/2012/07/new-link-upthe-womanifesto-challenge.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks amazing! We try to eat meat only once or twice a week, but that makes it kind of hard to find new recipes that we will all love. This might be one of them! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...