Tuesday, August 28, 2012

While I Was Out

Yet another unintended, extended blog break. I blinked, and it's the end of August. Summer has been a blur. Although crickets still breathe summer nights, dusk is creeping in earlier each evening. All of a sudden the breezes feel more crisp than cooling. 

I'm trying to fight reality. 

In the Midwest, fall was a welcome transition from being preoccupied by sweaty thighs and frizzy hair. In Portland though, it's feels like impending doom. I know my days with the sun are limited and ought to be savored. Before I know it everything is going to be grey and wet again. At least I bought a new (thrifted!) raincoat. 

I know I talk about the weather a lot. I'm still a Northwest newbie in awe of how all this works. Because of the climate contrast, Gerry and I have been cramming our weekends full of fun. Hiking, grilling, days at the beach; street festivals, walks into town, and drinks on restaurant patios. I keep saying to him, "I feel so lucky to live here." He agrees.

Here's an Instagram collection of Summer photos. I love the easiness of my iPhone. I hate bringing my camera out with me nowadays. I know as a reader cell phone pictures can be less than thrilling, but I love the convenience too much to apologize. 

What I Did and Saw


What I Wore
Photobucket

What I Ate


I've been cooking up a storm lately. If you follow me on Twitter and Instagram, this is no surprise. Because of educational assistance offered by my employer, I have started a classic French & Italian culinary training program two nights a week. It's been incredible! I love learning new techniques and trying new foods. I had been nervous to try beets for years and then in one night I tried them 4 different ways, all of which were tasty. This opportunity blows my mind. It's something I have been wanting to do for years, almost feeling as though I blew it by going to a university instead of culinary school. Now I work for a company willing to reimburse me for taking these classes. It's like giving myself a raise! It's a welcome change of pace, and has really amped my passion and creativity for cooking. I'm still trying to figure out what it all will mean for the future. 




6 comments:

  1. I know what you mean! My family and I moved here ten months ago (from the East Coast) so the dreary fall season is definitely something to get used to.


    I love that first outfit you posted! You're such a lovely lady. :)


    I've been reading your blog for a little over a year now, and it's fun to basically follow a fellow blogger to the same city! If you ever feel like stopping by my Also-New-to-Portland blog, it's here: www.kaseyheight.com


    I realize this could sound super creepy and like we just straight up followed you guys. But I actually found your blog because I was looking for people who lived in Portland. So I promise, no super creepy stalking ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you should talk more about this garlic ice cream. did you try it? congrats on the culinary classes, that is awesome! it must be so much fun, i should try taking a class some day as i love food so much but really who doesn't :)
    xo,
    cb

    ReplyDelete
  3. the garlic ice cream was weird in a good way. sweet ice cream with tender bites of roasted garlic. totally strange. i had garlic breath all day. i'd absolutely eat it again. i like weird ice cream though. there is an ice cream shop in portland that is obnoxiously popular with blue cheese pear and habanero marionberry. love 'em both, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not creepy at all! In fact, that is awesome. I'm happy to hear someone found my blog by looking into Portland things. I love it here!


    Your blog has beautiful photos. I'm adding it to my Bloglovin' so I can follow back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photodump! It looks like your really enjoying summer and your fudz look delicious!! I'm a newbie to the Pacific Northwest also (as of, like a week!) and I love Multnomah Falls and the Columbia River right there, so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post!
    Looks like you have been having a great time :]


    P.S I am hosting a little giveaway on my blog. Stop by!
    www.dearlittlebee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...